With the coming scenic modelling, I decided to pick up some florist wire and see what it was like to try to create a tree-like shape a la Gordon Gravett. Michaels didn’t have the paper-coated stuff that Gordon uses, but they did have big spools of this plastic stuff, and it wasn’t very expensive. So I picked some up and started twisting.
The first thing I found is it is easier to twist two wires together if you fold over a single long length and twist a loop. However, it didn’t take long to decide that I didn’t really know what the shape of a tree should be.
I found a likely-looking specimen on Flickr, and had twisted only a few strands before I found I was lost. The real tree has far too many branches to replicate them all, but also so many similar-sized branches that I couldn’t keep track of the branches I was trying to twist.
I abandoned that approach, and sketched a simplified version of the tree. This was easier than twisting because I didn’t take my eyes from the photograph for very long. However, the sketch was much easier to navigate than the photograph.
Sadly the photograph provides only two dimensions of information, and I had to make up the third. Even so, as with most things working from a photograph has made a richer model, and the shape of the tree is more satisfying than my made-up version.