Engine truck good enough for now

Rebuilding the engine truck wheels, including one tyre that went missing (but is not missed as it wasn’t my best work) took a morning. This time I soldered the half-axles in place before casting the spokes. So all the wheels are nice and solid now, even the one that came apart in the heat and is probably no longer centred and will need to be rebuilt again.

I turned up some muffs from acetal plastic, and pressed the wheels home. This should get me through the Railway Modellers’ Meet. However, I do not believe we’ve heard the end of this part of the engine. I’m not happy with the vertical squareness of the truck, and there is that wheel to fix. So after the show, I will likely take another swing at it; fortunately, I anticipated this mulligan and included two sets of side frames in the fret.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.