Percy visits the paint shop

I found only the dried out dregs of a bottle of paint when I went to paint Percy’s new parts. The dregs looked almost viable, and I wanted the project done so I pressed forward with thinning and spraying. It was one of the worst airbrush experiences of my life. That’s saying something as my […]

Read More Percy visits the paint shop

Percy and the mega-print

With Percy now coated in primer, it is easier to see and comment about how that single big print went. Truthfully, it was two prints because the first one had the cylinders too high. While I wouldn’t consider it a failure, the single big print was not the best decision. I knew I was in […]

Read More Percy and the mega-print

3D printed handrail stanchions

Rarely my ideas work out on the first try. If it weren’t for a spare shell, due to cylinders that were too high, this one might not have. The spare shell allowed for practice before committing to the real shell. Handrail stanchions for #622 took a fair amount of lathe work to bore out and […]

Read More 3D printed handrail stanchions

Percy’s new Body

I’m as surprised as anyone that the single-big-print approach worked for Percy’s body. It looks pretty darn nice considering how much work didn’t go into it. I’m especially impressed by the hand-holds beside the cab door and the handrail stanchions atop the tank. I had a few failures, which I blame on dirt I noticed […]

Read More Percy’s new Body

Percy and the Broken Promise

When I started this project, the great thing about Percy was that I could work on the engine without being tempted to turn it into a Canada Atlantic prototype. Well, now that I have a working engine, it seems a shame not to put it to work! But, even I can’t imagine Percy banging Troublesome […]

Read More Percy and the Broken Promise

Percy and the couplers

Excited by the prospect of having a working engine, even if it doesn’t look like anything that ran on the Canada Atlantic, I printed a copy of Percy’s original running board, and mated it up with some Accumate Coupler lids from my folder of standard 3D designs. Bachmann had glued the cylinders on with CA, […]

Read More Percy and the couplers

Percy’s new main rods

Percy’s new main rods follow the same pattern as the connecting rods, with keys holding the rods in place, rather than nuts. I re-used the original crossheads. These have a plain plate to hold the rod in place on its pin and also to keep the crosshead on its guides. Filing off the end of […]

Read More Percy’s new main rods

Percy crosses the chasm

That gap. It doesn’t look so dangerous, but once I installed phosphor-bronze wipers to pick up current, the fine wire would find the tiny gap between rail heads and launch poor under-weight Percy into the sky. Sometimes with disastrous effect. Finally, with Percy’s split chassis assembled, and a few sharp corners filed away so they […]

Read More Percy crosses the chasm