The tyres for 1120’s tender have been plopping unceremoniously onto the lathe bed for the past couple of weeks. I had thought to make them in two batches – one per truck – but wound up getting several extra tyres and wheels out of one blank, albeit not enough for the whole tender. In the end, I have enough extras to make a second car of some sort.
I’m planning to keep the original tender trucks with their nice pickups. These take axles with 1.2 mm journals, and so, I had to make axles up as well. I spent several days trying to come up with ingenious methods to hold onto the 1.5 mm rod for the axles. However, I finally gave up and just chucked the material straight into the lathe. It’s about as small as the machine can hold, but hold it does, which is better than any of my ingenious solutions.
This might be the last time I turn wheels for a bit. So, I’ll leave some photos here for future Rene’s use. This method was far quicker and more accurate than the one-at-a-time method used on 622’s wheels. The 12/64″ drill for the tyre centres seemed like a good idea, but is imprecise; I’ll have to make the wheel centres to match. Good luck with your next batch!