622 is finally back together again. I managed to keep the same electrical scheme albeit with a little less elegance than originally planned. Where svelte insulating layers were incorporated into the frame, I now have beefy sandwiches of nickel silver and epoxy on plastic. Where the frame originally conducted electricity covertly, there are now obvious garnishes of brass or phosphor bronze to carry the current. At least it wasn’t a complete do-over.
Finally, I reassembled the whole thing, and ran it up and down the test track a few times before it tied itself into a knot. It seems the drivers were slipping on the axles. Fortunately, I still have the U-G-L-Y quartering tool, and so, I was able to put them back. This time I used great gobs of epoxy so they don’t move again. (I suspect that there could be water or oil inside the half-axles that interfered with the original bond). One of the gobs of epoxy rubbed against the vestiges of the Stephenson’s gear on the front of the firebox, and called for another disassembly and some more filing.
After a few successful runs on the test track, I cleaned the rails in Pembroke itself to see what would happen. Even if electrical and mechanical problems have crept into the layout in the four years since I cut my losses on #10 , it was satisfying to see a wheel turn on the layout. It’s even better to know that 622 will push the combine (I haven’t installed couplers yet).
While I had planned to paint 622 in the near term, now that I have her on the layout, I think it will be worth tinkering a little more to see if I can resolve all the issues before I add a delicate layer of paint.