The front boiler stays on a steam locomotive are tricky. They need to connect the boiler to the frame, but at least one end can’t be permanent or else you’ll never be able to disassemble the engine. What’s more, they are right there on the front of the engine, front and centre for most photographs; so they need to look like they do their job. When I built #10, the frame end was the loose one. This time, because there is so little material to glue to, I made the boiler end loose. Time will tell if it was the right decision.
Despite their simplicity, these stays took a lot of fitting to get right, and I’m not convinced they will be robust enough to survive a lot of assembly and disassembly. If I had been clever, I would have made the foot of the stays into part of the pilot casting, and created a hole to push the actual stays into. Sadly, I was not that clever, and had to form the stays in place from two pieces of wire with their ends flattened. In an attempt to keep them from falling off in a slight breeze, I drilled the feet and glued a nut-bolt-washer casting through and into the end beam. Better than nothing: perhaps they will survive a slight breeze, but not a stiff one.