For some reason, when I was drawing the steam chest and saddle, I left off some tiny details. So, I had an opportunity to make them. What fun!Read More Steam chest details
It may look like #622 is all but finished, but I just put together a to-do list with 28 items on it before the engine is ready for paint. Many of those items need to be fabricated, which means each will take at least an evening. Here are the first three from the list.Read More Rear end details for 622
For years I told people I would rather use Shapeways than get my own 3D printer. The technology was changing too rapidly, and I didn’t want the resin in my home. However, the newer resin printers are producing such excellent results, and the cost of shipping from Shapeways is getting so userous, that I finally […]Read More Happy Father’s Day to Me!
I was looking through some sketchbooks for a kid’s school work earlier this week, and found some sketches I made back when I was still working on the first incarnation of Pembroke. I don’t recall making them, but I know it was during the Pembroke 1.0 era because there’s a track plan for that layout […]Read More Sketches for Pembroke 1.0
Somehow my fixation on mud drums feels a little deviant. Like “foot fetish” or “nasophilia,” “mud drum” is the sort of thing you Google for only after double-checking that your Safe Search filter is on. That the one group I wrote to when researching mud drums during the design phase never wrote back only cements […]Read More Mud drum for 622
It strikes me that 622’s air pump will likely be one of the last detail castings I ever buy. Certainly, it will be the last brass air pump I buy. The next one will be printed, likely here at home. It’s worth pausing here to enjoy the skill that went into the pattern for this […]Read More 622’s air pump and the end of detail castings