I’ve decided that the tender was indeed too high, making the 3D-printed body bolsters and end beam superfluous. Having rediscovered that photo of 624 wrecked at St Polycarpe, I know the body bolsters were the wrong shape anyway, so no great loss there. The end beam, however, needs reconfiguration to keep the coupler at the right height.
I actually re-designed the end beam so that future Rene can print copies, and so that present Rene could get the dimensions right(ish). Then I set forth with Evergreen styrene strip and rod. A short while later, I had a replacement for the draft gear, which should put the coupler at the right height.
Lots of writers these days have been talking about “slow modelling” – paying attention to how we feel about the craft of modelling as we’re in the process. Generally, I’m not much for spiritual hooey. However, I confess I was aware how much I was enjoying my time at the modelling bench with a few pennies’ worth of styrene strip and a syringe full of solvent.
Since the photo shown above, I’ve cut the old draft gear out, and fitted the new one. But now there are just not enough surfaces to support the new part. So, I’m writing rather than continuing to struggle in the hopes that a solution presents itself.
Nope, still nothing.