I dragged out the resistance soldering unit this morning to solder those centres into their tyres. On the first wheel, I experimented with solder paste and a torch, but ultimately settled on the RSU. So, with only twelve joins to make, I started work with the RSU again. This time, I found that after the first spoke, the current was passing through that path and refusing to warm up the next joint.
Finally, I gave up and went to dig the trusty Weller out of Mt Deluge. This worked perfectly. A little drop of Carr’s green label and the tiniest smidge of solder offered up to the joint on the tip of the hot iron resulted in a quick poof of noxious vapour known to cause cancer in California and a nice solid joint.
At the end of play: Weller 9 – RSU 3