It seems a hundred years ago that I bought that range hood for a deep discount at Rona. It sat for all those years beneath the pile of junk in the heavy shop, awaiting its moment to be installed. I’d bought it early so I could be sure of the vent location, and it seems to have largely paid off.
When I held it in position, I discovered that I must have planned to modify the range hood all those years ago. These things come with lights and a front-mounted set of controls that are largely useless for paint booth purposes.
Well, there’s no point arguing with my former self. In this case he’d already won by positioning the vent where he did. So, out came the tin snips and the metal-cutting blade for the jigsaw, and along came some flashing to close in the resulting opening for fire safety. A long time later, I had moved the controls to the side and hacked off 15 cm of useless metal.
Today, I created the fold-down painting surface. I decided to put a low-profile lazy Susan in at the last moment, and cut a large hole in the drop-down surface to allow for it.
Before heading to the airport for a work trip, I propped everything in place to see how it’s going to work. It looks like my former self had a pretty decent plan to me.
Technically, you’re not supposed to use range hoods for paint booths. The fan is in line with the paint, and there is a widely held belief that you could get sparks igniting paint. Most everything I spray is acrylic, however, and so, I’m going to chance it.