Scribed and cut lines on the CricutA recent comment over on Model Railroad Hobbyist, where I cross-post some of this blog, made me realize that I didn’t do a great job of explaining the approach to board and batten. I actually thought it was simple and self-evident from the photos, but I guess it wasn’t. So, here is how I did them.
I wanted to avoid the look of battens on a single piece of board. So, I started from the premise of individual boards and battens. But, being lazy, I had the Cricut cut them at the correct spacing. There are two sheets of boards, connected to a top and bottom carrier sheet. The sheets are on the right in the view below of the shed walls.
By making the boards on two sheets, I got subtle colour variations between boards with my washes of oil paints. I think there could also be a subtle unevenness to the boards because it’s difficult to glue down card perfectly flat.
After they were coloured, I pushed the two pieces of card back together. I had designed in a puzzle piece connector, but forgot to cut it all the way through; it turned out to be unnecessary. With the two pieces of card together, I glued them to another piece of card. Then I cut away the carrier sheets; this was easy because half the board ends were already cut through, and the others had been cut half-way (see Scribed and Cut Lines on the Cricut).
I actually assembled the three walls of the shed at this point because I was concerned that the battens might not cover the joins properly. Then I glued the battens to the walls, keeping them attached to their carrier sheets until the glue set.
Gluing the battens down was a little bit tricky because there are so many of them that by the time I got to the end, the glue (Weldbond) had started to set on the first ones. Also, they are very fine and blobs of glue, even applied with a pin, squish out the sides. I will have to tackle this problem before attempting a larger board and batten project.
Finally, I cut away the batten carrier sheets, yielding the battens alone on the walls. Unlike the boards, I did not partially cut the battens from the carrier sheet with the Cricut as that would have made them very delicate. However, cutting them free of the carrier sheets was a simple matter of following the back of the boards. As I mentioned previously, next time I will leave a little extra space at the top and bottom of the battens so they don’t need to align quite as nicely with the boards.
Note that the door and window casings were included on the same sheets as the battens.
As with the clapboard, the base washes are Yellow Ochre and Raw Sienna. After assembly, I added a wash of Ivory Black and Titanium White, and a little Burnt Umber to grey it down and blend a little (not shown).