It seems to be two steps forward, one step back on #10. No sooner had I fixed the quartering issue that had popped up, than I discovered that the engine truck weight was dragging and catching on guard rails.
After I resolved that, I triumphantly placed the engine on the track. Where it sat. Silently. Just sat, as if it were getting no power whatsoever. Yup, that’s what was happening, all right: the other tender connection had failed in exactly the same way as the first.
Well, fortunately, I knew exactly how to solve that problem, and so, this evening I repeated the procedure that I’d done to the left side on the right. The engine ran back and forth happily after that.
And then it didn’t.
Some days I want to chuck the whole thing in the trash. Not just #10, but the whole hobby, or at least the way I practice it. I have made a lot of choices in this hobby away from the mainstream. 1905, the Canada Atlantic, Proto:87 – any one of these would have been a road less travelled. Combined, there isn’t even a road!
Now, just as with the tender connection, I know that every time I tackle a problem, it will be easier and faster the next time. I am paving my own road as I go. But, I tell you, it is hard going some days.