Thanks to my masking tape plan, it didn’t take too long to get the walkways back onto the turntable. The masking tape kept the boards in order so all I had to do when I was ready to re-install them was peel them off the masking tape one at a time, scrape and sand off the old glue, and plunk them down again. There was no tedious measuring and fitting.
This time, I started at the rail and worked outward. I left a .020″ gap between the spikes and the first board, and then simply worked back out again, measuring occasionally to ensure things weren’t getting skewed. I needed one new row of boards, and between the now-consistent gap and the extra row, there is sufficient clearance that the engine and gondola clear those pesky balance posts.
There was about .020″-.040″ (.5-1mm) of tie extensions left when I was done, and these I carefully sanded off. The guard timber, I believe, helped to keep the extensions from popping off.
Then it was a matter of detail, and there are some fun ones. First of all, the push bars needed something to keep them in place. It seems that these are usually held down with straps, and so, I bent up a half-dozen staples from .015″ brass wire and glued them into holes in the deck.
There is a plate spanning the rails at each end, which the engine crew would use to secure the turntable in position. This has a couple of .006″ wire lifting rings on it so it’s easier to shift. The Wakefield version of this plate had a chain securing it to the turntable, but I left that detail off as I’m modelling a more honest era.
Finally, I added NBW castings to the ends of the balance post stays so these wouldn’t look so much like they are elastic bands that pass through holes in the timbers. The NBWs are likely overscale, but they nicely terminate the wires.