As I was congratulating myself on a job well done the other night, I had a terrible thought: what if the lock sockets don’t clear the drive wheel as they’re rotating around the far side of the turntable? I quickly got out a green Fineliner and propped it into a corner of the square hole that holds the drive wheel. Sure enough, the line that resulted when I rotated the turntable against this pen was inside the ends of the locks.
And so it sat for a couple of days while I did other things like watch movies and such. For a while I thought I might be able to get away with it. Maybe by trimming the ends and notching here and there, I could suck the sockets out to the outer ring, and clear the wheel. Finally, though, I heard my grandfather in the back of my head: “A job worth doing is worth doing well.” So I resolved to just redo all the parts again.
It took about half as long the second time, of course, and I got a little further along in the same amount of time this evening. Not only did I remake the parts, but I located and fixed the pin end of the mechanism on the edge of the lazy Susan. The photo above shows the pin end of the mechanism, along with one of the bad sockets.
I also routed all the feeders through trenches in the baseboard. The feeders ultimately will be trapped between two layers of plywood as I want to keep the roundhouse baseboard removable for the foreseeable future.