My mum is coming to visit tomorrow (!), and so, I wanted to get as much turntable work done as possible before the train room turns into a bedroom. Ideally I would have liked to have had the turntable mounted in the benchwork before she got here, but unfortunately, I didn’t quite complete that.
I spent yesterday evening adding all the spikes to the ties. Two scale spikes per tie only took me an hour and a half or so. I was pretty much cross-eyed by the time I was done, however.
I tried pre-painting the spikes before driving them. Painting them after installation is just asking for eye-strain. Some of the Krylon camouflage brown rubbed off in the spiking process, but I will go back over all the rail with more colour down the road anyway. Touching up is much easier than an initial coat.
Once the spikes were all in, I mixed up some ballast with slightly larger rocks and the usual grout and filled in the bottom of the turntable pit. One day there will probably be some plants down there (not too many, as it’s only about six years old), but I think I will leave them until other plants are going on in the vicinity.
As you can see those spikes make quite a difference!