About the only machine tool I own is a little drill press. I bought it for $50 at a garage sale over a decade ago, and it has paid for itself many times over. Unfortunately, because my tools are not going to automatically align parts, I spend a lot of time figuring out how to trick myself into getting things square or in-line.
The whole idea of using the lazy susan base for the turntable comes from the notion that it is easier to align large things than small things. If I were going to try to use a vertical axle, I would therefore want quite a long one – at least until its position wasn’t going to change anymore.
With the lazy susan, I needed to get the middle of the lazy susan aligned with the middle of the pit (round as it is!). To do this, I soldered a length of 1/16″ rod through a hole in the center of the turntable base.
This passes through a similar hole that I made through the middle of the pit.
Unfortunately, the lazy susan base is proud where I need it to sit against the bottom of the benchwork. So, I routed out a channel for the base to run in. I could have shimmed up the base with yet another layer, but every layer you add increases the inaccuracy of the assembly. I’m not too concerned about strength: ultimately the lazy suzan will be screwed through into the 3/4″ plywood top.
I also trimmed back the giant piece of 1/4″ plywood that was part of the base so I can fit it into the emerging jigsaw puzzle beneath the layout.