Staging Yard Glued Down and Connected

Gotta love those Kiwis and their invention of Daylight Savings Time.  Name one other thing that was invented in New Zealand.  I know I can’t.  Anyway, thanks to them, we have one night a year when we get an extra hour of train time!

This year, I used the time to glue down most of the rails for the staging yard.  The last time Andrew was over, he and I put Pliobond on the bottoms of the rails.  So tonight, all I had to do was run the hot soldering iron over them.  It still took some time, and I didn’t do any rails that have rail joiners waiting for another rail to hook onto.  So, I was glad for the extra hour.

IMG_2071.JPG

I discovered one closure rail that gets a little tight in the gauge. So, I flagged it, and will fix it later. I’ve been using lots of these little flags to identify trouble spots. If something comes off the rail, I make a note of what derailed and the direction of travel, then come back later to figure out the source of the derailment. Eventually, I expect the number of flags to go to zero.

IMG_2072.JPG

While I know that’s true, and even though the flags are what are stopping operating sessions, I still find it difficult to get motivated to go figure them out.  It’s more fun to continue blasting forward with, for example, gluing down the staging yard.  It must be time to roll out another self-incentive for correcting track flaws.

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Staging Yard Glued Down and Connected

    1. How does the loco run?

      When I think of NZ it’s birds eating the car wipers, John Britten, and folk casting engine blocks in their backyards.

      I’ll remember the fence for the next time I get zapped.

      AH

      1. The loco is getting better all the time. The trouble is, it can’t pull much out up the grade out of the station. I bought some tungsten and have come up with a couple of places to hide some. Right now it’s running around with the cab roof off and a chunk of tungsten sticking out the top. This makes it back-heavy, but I have a cunning plan to slip a little more weight under the cylinder saddle, too.

        The tank is also off the tender right now, awaiting the new sound decoder. So, overall, it looks a little bit like Frankenstein’s monster.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s