It’s been more than three years since I took down my workbench and started on the basement renovation. This weekend, I finally installed the table top on the new one, which is built into the cabinets beneath Pembroke.
Here it is cleaner than you will ever see it again. I had thought I would get an Arborite countertop, but that turned out to be more dough than I wanted to spend. So, instead, it is a melamine shelf, edged with maple that is stained to match the cabinets. The melamine will not be nearly as robust as Arborite, but the piece of particle board only cost $30, so if it wears out I can easily replace it. There will be three drawers beneath, and I have loads of ideas about what goes up top.
The first project for the new desk will be the turntable in Pembroke. I need this to get operations running.
It feels great to have a model-building space again!