One of the challenges with building Pembroke in a house that is still under renovation is that some of my research material is buried. While the basement has been largely finished since before Christmas — don’t ask me about baseboards and that closet door — there are still shelves and various cabinets to construct. So, I’ve been relying mostly on information on my Canada Atlantic research website and on my Flickr stream (mostly not public). One critical photo lives only in a BRMNA book, and it shows the relationship between the mainline and the area around the engine house.
It’s a good thing I braved the wall of boxes of books and dug out the one book I needed. I had been thinking that the engine house should be lower than the mainline because, well, surely the ground drops down toward the river. Unfortunately, it is the opposite: the mainline runs in a shallow cutting so it can drop down to the level of the town, and the engine house is a couple of feet higher.
I had always planned to create this section separately so that the module isn’t too unwieldy when I go to move downstairs. The change was that it became a piece of 3/4″ plywood instead of 1/4″ plywood. Last night Andrew and I cut it out and built a cork ramp up to that level. I’ll have to smooth it down, but you can get a sense of the change in elevation by sighting along the track.
The presence of only a single track in the prototype photo alarmed Andrew. Poor fellow, he is easily startled by deviation from the prototype. I’ve had to collapse the mainline to keep Pembroke in my basement. In reality, the siding, spur to Pembroke Manufacturing and the engine house were scattered over a distance of about half a mile. Railroads are long, skinny things.
Here is another view of the same area. The turntable hole is a little oversize to accommodate the walls. Jim was worried that the 50′ turntable might not be large enough to turn my power, but I checked, and there will excess track on either end of the engines.